Sunday, August 2, 2009

What Consumes Your Thoughts Controls Your Life

I was listening to one of my favorite secular groups the other day and came across this verse. What consumes your thoughts controls your life. The group is Creed, and the song is "What If". I like this group because they are popular in the main stream of music and their music sends the message of God. I was listening to this song about two weeks ago and that verse has been sticking to me like glue. There are a host of things that consume my mind; selling our house, getting my work done, praying for those who need prayer, being a good father and a good husband. Those are on the top of my list. Lately, I have put a lot of time and energy into selling our house. It has caused a lot of stress. It has been controlling me. The other things kind of fall in order and sadly, praying and connecting with God is not consuming me right now. I know that if I put Him first in my life, then the other things will fall in place. I know that if I give it to Him, then there will be less stress. But it's hard to do that, give up control I mean. I am a fixer and a doer. I jump into things without much thought and do the job until it's done. If it's something I know how to do, or assume that I can do, then I don't ask for help. I'm sure this is a trust issue. My dad always said "If you want something done right, then do it yourself". This has become my way ever since he told me that for the first time. I apply this to everything in life; marriage, fatherhood, volunteer work...everything! I let things consume me and I don't reach out for help unless I absolutely need it, and sometimes it's too late. Do you remember what "consumed your life" when you were a kid? Was it sports, fashion, music, the opposite sex? What was it that defined who you were during your younger years? I wish I knew God back then. I would have realized that even when I became lost or confused, I could turn back to Him and give Him some of the control. I think that's the beauty of the gift of free will. He allows things to happen so we can turn to Him for His wisdom. If only we could all live our lives with consuming thoughts of our Lord and Father. How beautiful would that be? If you're starting to feel a little consumed, stop for a moment. Take a deep breath. Think of what's more important in your life. Pray and ask God for His help. Give Him some of the control and watch what happens.



No comments: