Saturday, August 8, 2009

Waiting

I have spent my whole life waiting for something. When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to get my first bike. When I was a teenager, I couldn't wait to get my drivers license and to graduate from high school. When I did graduate from high school, I joined the Air Force. Of course, once I joined, I could not wait to get out. Then along came Ann Lauer, and I couldn't wait to marry her. After a couple of years of dating, we got married. Together, we could not wait to have kids. We could not wait to get that big house. We could not wait to excel in our careers. We could not wait........ I'll bet, that even in the womb, I was waiting for something. I wonder if I will spend the rest of my life waiting for something.

Is it just me? Am I the only one that feels this way? Am I the only one in a constant state of waiting? Am I that impatient or is it a content issue? Maybe if I were more content with what I have and who I am, then I wouldn't be waiting so much for the next big improvement.

Currently, I am waiting to sell this house we live in, and I can't wait to get rid of it. We bought it because we felt led to live in it and all of the doors opened for us during our purchase. That has been three years ago. It has never felt like a home to me since we moved in. I thought it would. I thought that it would be cool to live in a big house with all of the fancy trim and every other creature comfort man could possibly want. Truth is, it isn't that cool. It is quite the opposite. It is impersonal. It is not cozy. I feel lost in it. I can't wait to get out of it.

Have you ever tried praying and actually waited for an answer? I have been lately. Our whole family has been praying for God to sell our house. I know what you're thinking, "How can God sell a house"? Why wouldn't He be able to, He is in control of everything. Besides, we got a great deal from DivineRealtors.com. We felt strongly inspired that He was giving us the go ahead to put it on the market, and that He would be in control of it. We did, and somehow, that feeling went away. For me anyway. This is where that patience thing comes into play. You see, what seems like an eternity to us, is just a blink in God's timing. Check out 2 Peter 3:8-9. It says "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance". That pretty much sums everything up. I wish it were that easy. I am still impatient and I am still waiting for something to happen. I guess waiting on God is a good thing though. I think that He likes it when we are waiting for Him. It acknowledges His importance to us.

So, what are you waiting for?

No comments: