Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tuesday Nights

About six years ago, I started going to a men's group. What is a men's group? It is a weekly gathering of Christian men, getting together to share what God is doing in their lives. It is men worshipping God. It is band of brothers that will stand by you, lift you up and hold you accountable for God.
I have been in several groups over the years, but this most recent one is my favorite. These guys are great! I have been thinking about how appreciative I am that I have this group of men in my life. I thought I would take a few moments to introduce some of them to you.

This is Bob Turner. He started this group. The Lord has been calling him to start this group for quite some time, and after a season of procrastination, he did. I love this guy. The smile on his face will light up your day, week, month.... We call him Bob the Biker because he enjoys riding his Harley all over this crazy nation. I have known Bob for about six months now, but it feels like an eternity. He is truly my brother.

This is Steve Nixon. He and have known each other for about three years now. He shares a common interest with me, and that is, he loves to serve. He is passionate about God and finds great joy in serving people without being asked to. He is a role model for Jesus. He is also great at fixing computers. I should know, he has spent a lot of time fixing mine. I'm pretty sure his favorite song is Undignified. I don't know the artist who sings it, but when ever it comes on, Steve will dance in front of millions to show his praise for God. I love Stevie, and he is truly my brother.

This is Keith Howell. The day I met this guy, I knew God put him in my life for something. Keith lives in Florence, Kentucky and attends The Vineyard there. He and Bob are long time friends. They both work for Duke Energy, ride Harleys together and love God. Keith is the man responsible for introducing Jesus to Bob. Keith has been a Christian for quite some time now and still treats each day as if it is a new beginning. Keith doesn't say much during group, but when he does, it's powerful. The kind of powerful that makes me lay awake at night, staring at the ceiling, wondering what God's take is on what he said. I love Keith, and he is truly my brother.

This is Eric Carlson. I have known him for a few months now, and already know a great deal about him. He is passionate for Christ. His most recent endeavor is working in the children's ministry at our church. It takes a patient man to take on this task. Between working under the great Jim Lyman and entertaining hundreds of kids, you have to truly enjoy this calling. I tried before Jim Lyman was recruited and failed. Eric is a computer whiz as well, but I haven't employed him yet. Sooner or later Steve will get sick of me and my computer problems and that's when I will call on Eric. I love the way this guy chases after God. He is truly my brother.

This is Jeremy Klein. He is the youngest of the group, but his share of life's experiences has made him wise. This guy can pray like there is no tomorrow. Every time he prays, I feel like God is sitting right in the center of the room listening. Jeremy also has no shortage of tattoos. The rest of us are planning our tattoos just so we don't stand out as being bland. I love this guy and all that he brings to our group. He is truly my brother.

This is Scott Hutchings. He has been coming to group for about a month now. He is the only one with dreads. We all joked about shaving our heads as a group just to get a rise out of him. Scott is passionate about two things. God and football. I know Scott is a Buckeye fan and will try not to hold that against him. Being a lone Wolverine fan in the state of Ohio can be a rough thing, but I am used to it now. Scott is also incredibly intelligent. He has a very good memory and is not afraid to try new things. I have been teaching Scott a new trade skill in woodworking and look forward to seeing him grow in all that he does. Scott is truly my brother.

This is Joe. I don't know too much about Joe yet because he just started coming last night. I don't even know his last name yet. I do know that he plays the bass and does an awesome job at it to complete our worship band at church. I am looking forward to getting to know Joe a lot better and hope that he continues to join our group. Already, Joe is truly my brother.

This is our group. We are crazy for Jesus. We are passionate for doing what we are called to do. We are men of Christ. We call ourselves the Thunder Brothers (don't ask me where we got that name, because I still don't know). If you are thinking about joining a group, I highly encourage you to do so. It will rock your world and shape you as a man....the man that God intended you to be.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Awesome, thanks for sharing Nick. If you guys do decide to get tatted, go as a group and got to Mother's in Erlanger. Tell them the girls from Vineyard Westside sent the guys from Vineyard Westside-and have Craig Moore do your tatts!!! YOu can make a day of it like we did.
Groups are awesome and will definetly help shape you into the person God wants you to be.

DanThoms said...

That's a good group of guys you got there.

Ps.
Jeremy loves jokes about his height.