Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Lesson In Trust

God woke me up this morning and said that He wanted to spend some time alone with me today. I always accept some still time with God, so when Ann headed off to church with the kids, I stayed home to be with Him.
As I started my prayer time, my heart grew heavy with Honduras. Since my mission trip back in April, Honduras has been hit with a 7.1 earthquake and now faces it's struggles with the coup. I immediately began to pray for the people that I know and love and all people of Honduras. I read a story by an author named Gerald Oosterveen that I think puts everything in perspective. In the end, God will always be victorious. Satan may rampage through the world and through the souls of people, with God's inscrutable permission, and cause indescribable disaster and anguish. When he is finished, however, and arrogantly boasts to God, "Look what I've done," God will silence him with His majestic, "And now look what I can do." Then satan will shamefacedly slink into the corners of his hell while God goes about His work of redemption and restoration. A lesson in trust and knowing that He is TOTALLY in control.
I continued my prayer time with another matter that has been stressful to me. We put our house on the market two weeks ago, in hopes to downsize. One of the things that God revealed to me, while I was in Honduras, was the ability that the people have to be content with what they have or have not. We live in an upscale house that has many amenities that most people can only dream about. Most of this, if not all of it, is totally not needed. The first night home, I was taking a shower which is equipped with two shower heads and jets and lavished in very expensive tile. I remember thinking how I can't wait to get home to that shower, especially after bathing in the jungle for the past week. I didn't see it that way when I stood there that night. My only thought was that we don't need this. We don't need any of it. I screamed to my wife that we need to sell this house. She agreed.
So, here we are. The house is up for sale in a market that is not very promising. But, we have felt very confident that this is what He has called us to do and that He is in control. It is hard to stay positive or to trust that He will guide us through this when there is a lot at stake. I am reminded of a game that children play. A game of total trust and submission. Kids will blindfold each other and then have to run through obstacles guided by what their friends (with vision) are telling them to do. As Christians, we sometimes feel like those blindfolded children. Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We live by faith, not by sight." This is a huge lesson in trust. Trusting that we are not alone and that God will guide us through life's obstacles. A lesson in faith. Knowing that Jesus is who He says that He is, and that He loves us and wants the best for us.
Proverbs 3:5 states "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." My own understanding tells me that this is not the time nor the market to sell a $675k house. Watching other families in the same price range attempt the same thing only to sell for thousands less or to give up trying. God has spoken to my heart and has willed me to do this, therefor I must lean on and trust Him.

No comments: