Thursday, July 16, 2009

True Strength

This is my friend, Jason Michel. I have known Jason for about six years now. I just wanted to take a moment to recognize him and share a story of true strength.

I met Jason several years ago when my wife hired him as a personal trainer. My wife had the opportunity to share her testimony of Jesus, and Jason immediately questioned it. I have to admit, when I met him, I was a little intimidated. He is a big guy, but I have always admired bodybuilding and this made him intriguing to me.
To me, Jason is a true warrior. He has had many battles with the enemy, but has always come out strong. It is not my place to disclose what trials he has been through, but if you ever get a chance to ask him, I'm sure he would share a few.

I would like to share one story. It is a story of blessings, difficulties, and hope. A couple years ago, God presented us with the opportunity to have Jason stay with us for a few months. This is a hard story to tell because there are so many sensitive areas. I can say for myself that this was a true test. I struggled with trying to be a friend, role model (of Jesus), disciple, and supporter. I prayed many nights for Jason and for myself. Jason's stay only lasted about four months. I know that I could have done things better during that four months, but I am also content with the good moments that we had. One of the things I struggled with the most was judgement. I was always to quick to point out the bad things in Jason's life rather than affirming him in the good things. This made me blind in seeing his growth. My hope for Jason now, is that he will always trust and walk in the way of the Lord. I hope that he has forgiven me for the strife that I have caused. I hope that our friendship is restored.

I know now that Jason is truly growing. He is chasing after God at full speed. When you look at Jason, you will see an incredible physique, but don't let that fool you. The strongest muscle he has is his heart, and he has a heart of gold. A heart filled with passion and love. He is just as stubborn as the next guy, but he is also kind and giving. I love this guy and it is an honor to call him my friend.
This is my prayer of strength for Jason. 1 SAMUEL 17:45-46 David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the Lord will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord's and he will give all of you into our hands."

No comments: