Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Worry, after Honduras

So, I woke up at 4:30 am.....again.

And immediately, my mind started racing about things I need to get done on the house if we were to sell, what I would need in a new house, and stuff I want to do to my truck.

How pathetic am I?

What was I just witness to?

People with nothing...no electricity, no plumbing, no shoes on their feet...nothing! And yet, they were happy.

I started praying. "Lord, get me out of this house! Free up the money so I can build the people of Honduras the homes they need. It's your money anyway, have your way with it!"

Philippians 4:4-9 says,"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

My request is simple. I want to have less so I can give more.

I received an awesome gift from God last week in Honduras and I want to honor Him and praise Him for that. I want to serve the people that I met. I want to continue this journey that I've started with God. That week in Honduras doesn't just stop there. There is more to do. More to see. And, more to learn.

All of my life, my dream was to become a home builder. I have become so adjusted to America's standard of living, that I thought that is where I was supposed to be focusing on pursuing my dreams. Maybe God gave me those dreams for a particular reason. Maybe I was meant to build those homes in Honduras. After all, a house is just a house. A means of shelter from the elements.

I want to worry less about the crap I have and focus more on what God has planned for me to do. It took a great deal of trust on my behalf to travel to Honduras. I believe that if I can continue to trust Him, then my worries will be less.

So, what are you worried about? Seek Him and He will give you peace from your worries.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Good stuff. Worries? I try not to, but I am still human and they do pop up from time to time. I am quicker to give them to God now than I was this time last year.