Monday, March 2, 2009

Super Hero

When I was a kid, one of my favorite things to do when company came to our house was to put on my Superman underoos (over my pj's) and run around the house pretending to fly. I loved Superman! In fact, I loved a lot of the 70's superheros. Batman, Thor, Captain America, Spiderman and The Incredible Hulk were a few of my favorites. These days only one has much meaning to me. Batman is a different kind of Superhero. He doesn't have any special powers. He can't fly, spin a web or grow ten times his size and turn green. He relies on his intelligence and wealth to defeat crime. As with all tights wearing crime fighters, Batman has a dark side. His parents were murdered right in front of him when he was a kid. From that moment on he swore vengeance on all criminals. So where is all of this going? I know none of this really matters and it is somewhat dorky. But in a way, I can relate to Bruce Wayne (Batman). I'd like to think that if something happened to my family, I could turn rogue and go after crime using the dark of the night as my cover. I'd like to think that if I had millions of dollars, I could purchase some of the coolest crime fighting tools and weaponry ever made. I'd like to think that I could run around in tights in public and not be the laughing stock of the city. Truth is, I can't do any of these things. If I did, I would probably end up in jail. So who do we turn to in these times when we need a hero? Is it the fire department or the police? The U.S. military? Or what about lawyers? Does anyone with supernatural powers even exist? Does anyone really care enough for us and is willing to die for us in an instant? What does the word "Hero" even mean these days? Who is your hero? What hero would you be? If I could be a hero it would definitely have to be Batman. My real life hero who has died for me is Jesus.

No comments: