Thursday, March 26, 2009

God Is Bigger Than That

I have a friend who is very good at holding me accountable for my actions and thoughts. He is a younger guy who is on an incredible journey with God. I met him at my gym about a year ago when I saw that he was wearing a "Young Life" t-shirt and I questioned him about his involvement with the group. Since then, we have developed a great friendship and we share our testimonies in the middle of a testosterone filled place that you often would not find God.
Recently, I shared the news about my trip to Honduras with my friend and this brought him great excitement. I told him of my fears and concerns about the trip and he suggested that I should fast and pray for a day. Of course, my excuse was "I would love to fast, but my exercise routine requires a lot of nutrition and I don't think I would make it through the day without crashing". He simply told me, "God is bigger than that"!
I was on a hike with my brother a couple of weeks ago and I injured my foot while jumping over a creek and landing on a rock (in other words, I was being a show off). What I thought was a sprain feels more like a stress fracture. The pain is deeper, as if it is in the bone. Some of my work out routine requires balancing, jumping or the individual use of that foot and I get a lot of sharp pain when I do. I was attempting to do some lunges with my friend at the gym yesterday and I realized I could not push off with that foot. I told my friend that I was concerned about the hike up the mountain in Honduras with an injured foot. He suggested that I should have it looked at and then he said "God is bigger than that".
Think about it. What in your life is presenting a challenge? What seems impossible to accomplish? My marriage is failing, my finances are dwindling, my car won't start, my kid's are rebelling against me, I feel sick....God is bigger than all of these things. GOD IS BIGGER THAN EVERYTHING!
So today I will be fasting, to find answers to my questions. I will also be calling a doctor to have my foot looked at. In time, prayers will be answered and injuries will be healed and I will once again be a witness to the size and power of God.

No comments: