Friday, March 27, 2009

Hungry for Answers

So yesterday I completed a 24 hour fast from food. I'd like to say that it was easy, but that would be a false statement. I kept a log of my day but will only post my key thoughts. The postings start at 7:00am yesterday morning, but by then I will have not eaten for 12 hours already.

7:00am - Decided to fast this morning.
8:30am - Usually have my first meal by now which includes 100 grams of protein.
9:00am - I am tempted to eat a single grape.
9:35am - I listened to Casting Crowns (Christian Alternative Band) and worshiped while I was driving. I felt an incredible sense of brokenness.
11:30am - Usually have my second meal by now and my stomach is starting to growl.
12:18pm - Right now I am just thinking about how God is my strength when I am weak (and I am usually pretty weak without food), but I am going to go to the gym anyway and test my strength without any nutrition.
1:38pm - I just finished working out and I feel pretty good. Not really hungry now nor am I shaky either.
3:15pm - There is those darn grapes again.
6:00pm - It is time to make dinner and by now I usually have 4 meals in me. I love cooking dinner and I snack while I'm doing it, but today I am really dreading it because I am really starting to get hungry.
7:35pm - It has been 24 hours since my last meal. I am going to read a little bit of Luke and pray.
8:00pm - I just finished eating a late dinner. I feel drained and tired.

That is my log for the fast. Throughout the day I felt like God was telling me that I need to serve more. Not only was it my friends and neighbors that I am supposed to be serving, but strangers as well. I saw some people that were in need of help while I was driving home today and I failed to stop and offer any help. This is where I feel convicted the most. I don't know how to "get off of my high horse" and serve. What if they reject me and don't want my help? What if I help and totally make their day? I struggle with this so much. I think that I will try fasting again, but this time I will try to accomplish what He is asking me to do.

1 comment:

cinciann said...

Great post and a great challenge...very inspiring! Love you...