Monday, June 14, 2010

Short Story

I just wanted to share a story of one event that took place last week. In my most recent blog "Disgust", I talked about how much I really enjoyed serving people and how I have developed fears that have blocked me from doing this. Not long after I wrote that post, God provided a chance for me to provide an act of kindness for someone.
I was taking Eleana and Anthony to Target to purchase a couple of small things that we needed for the day. As I was sitting at the light waiting to cross the intersection into the shopping center, I saw a man, wearing long drab green pants with a long sleeve shirt to match, walk up and sit down on the shaded side of the Target Sign. He took off his back-pack and pulled out a piece of cardboard with something written on it. I noticed the people in the cars on the opposite side of the intersection of me just watching him. I heard God say, "Well Nick, here is your chance, what will you do"? This was my chance to serve, and I didn't want to blow it again.
As we walked through Target looking for the things that we were intending to purchase, I was trying to think of a way to provide for this man. I thought of how hot it was going to be that day and what would be important to me. I took the kids into the food section and we picked up a huge bottle of Ice Mountain Water and a bag of pretzels. I was now on a mission and was determined to do this.
We payed for our items and headed for our car. I felt my feet getting cold and I began to wonder what I was going to say. There are usually a lot of cars at that light as well, filled with people impatiently waiting to exit the shopping center. As we began to approach the exit, I prayed that we would get a spot right next to the man and for some prolonged red light time.
Well, God came through. I was the only car to pull up at the light and I was right next to him. I rolled down my window and I said, "Excuse me sir. I just wanted to give you a small gift. It's just some water and some pretzels, and I thought it would help get you through the day". He said thanks and that he was really thirsty. That's when I noticed his cap. It was an issued U.S. Marine Corps field hat. I asked him if he was a veteran and he said yes. I asked which war, and he said Desert Storm. Immediately, I felt a lump form in my throat. I told him that I was a veteran of that war myself. I thanked him for his service and said "God Bless You", and then I drove off.
As I was driving away, I thought about two extremes. Here I am in Hummer H2, filled with many blessings in my life and here is a guy who has nothing. We both served in the same war. How was it fair that he has nothing now and I have so much? How did I get so lucky? Instead of feeling good about serving, I felt ashamed (disgusted) of my luck in life.
I think in God's big plan for my life, He knew that I would serve along side of my brothers in a war, and that someday much later, I would have to serve and pray for those same brothers. In the military, it is our creed to leave no man behind. Whether he is injured or killed, he is coming home with us. This brother is a fallen hero. It is my job to help him get home. It is my responsibility to pray for him. It is my duty and my honor to serve him!

Here is a post that I placed on facebook last week:
What if we stopped putting limits on what God can do, and started serving every chance we get to? The poor man on the corner, the waitress at the restaurant, the mom with the three screaming kids in the car at the gas station, the neighbor who complains all of the time, the boss who doesn't seem to care and even the rich man on the golf course - all God's children and all waiting to be shown an ARK: Act of Random Kindness.

Matthew 20:24-28
When the ten heard about this, they were indignant with the two brothers. Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave - just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many."

What chances are you given to serve?
Peace!

No comments: