Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Me . . . A Pastor?

Have you ever felt like you were being called to do something or be something that you would never have imagined? Have you ever had a dream or a vision of doing something that really makes you uncomfortable? I have. In this most recent, re-occurring dream, I am standing in front of a large group of people and I am either giving a speech or teaching a lesson . As if I was some sort of a teacher or a Pastor. That terrifies me!

In one definition, the word Pastor means to be a Christian Minister or Priest having spiritual charge over a congregation or other group. In another, it simply means to be a shepherd. Do I see myself as being a Pastor? Not in a million years, nor would I want the responsibility of having 'spiritual charge' over a congregation or over anybody for that matter. But what about being a shepherd? Doesn't it essentially mean the same thing? A shepherd is defined as a person who cares for and guides a group of people, or a more familiar definition is, one who herds, guards, and tends sheep. The last time that I checked, I am quite sure that I don't guard or tend to sheep. But, I do have a small group of people that I care for and I find myself guiding them from time to time. That small group of people is a handful of men from my church who come together every Tuesday evening to bond and have community in the name of Jesus. One of my brothers in that group constantly kids me and calls me Pastor Nick.

One of things that I am constantly encouraging the men in that group, is to serve. In the book of Matthew 20:28, Jesus said, "The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve". What if being a Pastor or shepherd meant nothing else other than to be a servant? Jesus was a Shepherd of men, but He was also a servant. He was constantly teaching people to put others before themselves.

In one of my most recent visions, I had this idea of inviting neighbors into our home just to connect with and serve them. Eventually, we would begin to share things on a deeper level and then start to pray for one another. That small group would turn into a large group, then a whole street, then an entire neighborhood, and so on and so on . . . This group of people, this community, would be come a healthy living church. A church of people constantly serving each other and those around them. A group that is constantly inviting those who are lost. A community of believers who care for and tend to and guard each other. Wouldn't that group, by definition, be considered a shepherd? Does the weight of a role and it's responsibilities have to fall on one person? Aren't we all the Body of Christ?

As I mentioned earlier, I have no desire in being the leader of a church. I love challenging and stretching the guys in my group, and I appreciate it when they do the same for me. I know that I have leadership qualities and I am most willing to use them when called to, but by no means do I think that I have the gift a teaching. And what about the dream? Who is this large group that I am standing before and what am I saying to them? I guess I will have to be patient and remain humble until God decides to ( IF He decides to) reveal it to me.

Until next time, Happy Dreams and,

Peace!

No comments: