Saturday, January 3, 2009

Raising Kids

I think one of the toughest challenges I face every day is raising three kids. Three very different kids at three different ages. Anthony, who is four, is still at a fun age for me. He is like me when it comes to mechanics or just laughing at stupid stuff. We can sit and play Legos, read a book or just roll around on the floor and that keeps keeps him content. He is my buddy.
Eleana, who is now seven, is quite the artist. She loves to draw, color and create things. She reminds me a lot of myself when I was seven. I could sit and draw for hours when I was a kid. Not only is she talented, she is beautiful as well. She scares me. How am I going to handle her when she changes into a woman? I don't even like to think about it.
Then there's Dominick. Dominick is our first born. He is now ten. He taught himself how to read at the age of four. The kid is a prodigy. He is ahead of most of his classmates by a couple of years. His intelligence is a blessing but it is also the thing I struggle with the most. He sometimes thinks he can outwit me and he pushes his limits a lot. I have a very hard time dealing with him. I feel like I have nothing in common with him and I hate that.
Three very different kids at three very different places in life. How am I supposed to balance all of this? How do I keep everything in check? Am I a good father to them? These are the questions I ask myself everyday. I think one important piece of information I forgot to include is that I am a stay-at-home dad. I am the glue that is supposed to keep the family together. I know that I'm not perfect, in fact I make a lot of mistakes when it comes to raising them. I do things, that my parents did, I said I would never do. I often see myself as a failure. That's where my wife comes in. She is constantly affirming me and showing me where I might be able to make some changes. She is truly my better half. Without her, our kids would be doomed. They would be stuck with an angry, pathetic dad who doesn't seem to care. I think one of the biggest things I choose to do is that I go to my kids and ask for forgiveness when I am out of line. My parents never did that for me and I wish they had. I love that God gave me the opportunity to be a dad. I hope, that in the end, God says I was a good father.

1 comment:

cinciann said...

You are a great dad, and I admire you so much! Thank you for leading our family and being so dedicated to me and the kids. I love you!