Sunday, January 25, 2009

Be a Man!

What defines manliness.....clothes, income, cars? Or maybe it's how good of an athlete or how strong we are. The women we date, the cologne we wear, the music we listen to......the list goes on and on. As soon as I turn on a TV or step outside of my house, society tells me it's all of the above. I struggle with a lot of these. When I was in High School, I knew a guy who was six foot five and he had a full mustache. My friends and I used to joke with him about how much of a stud or a man he was, and he was only 15.
Yesterday, I received the great news that I was going to be an uncle. My brother is going to have a kid. To me, this is one of the biggest steps into manhood if taken seriously. There is a lot of responsibility in being a father. It becomes not just being about us but being what that child needs. I made the choice to sacrifice a lot when I became a father. I think one of the biggest changes I made was the willingness to find out who God was and to pursue Him whole heartedly. After all, He is THE MAN!
As I grow closer to God, I find out what my worth is as a man. I still like cool cars and tend to over exercise myself, but I try to place my focus on God before those things. I think He wants us to have nice things and experience the cool stuff in life as long as we worship Him first. I'm not perfect by any definition (there was only One who was on this Earth), but I strive for righteousness. To me, that defines...BE A MAN!

My son Dominick...future MAN.

1 comment:

cinciann said...

Oh yeah...you're MY man... ;-)