Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Sacrifice

Sacrifice is defined as the act of offering something to a deity in propitiation or homage, especially the ritual slaughter of an animal or a person. The key word here is "Offering". An offering is a contribution or a gift that is given by your own free will, not expecting anything in return.
Sometimes when we think of the word sacrifice, we think of the act of losing one's life to save another; the soldier on the battle field, the fireman in a towering inferno, Jesus on the cross. Or maybe you're an athlete and to sacrifice means to put yourself in harms way to help a fellow player advance, or accept a bunt to advance another runner. Sacrifice can be acted out in many ways, but it's meaning still remains the same.
I believe, that if we walk with God long enough, sooner or later He is going to ask us to sacrifice something for Him. Keep in mind that He still knows what is best for us. Our ways are not His. Our thoughts are not the same as His. God will ask us to do something for Him that seems near impossible. I recently read a passage from my daily devotional that said this: "Expect that one day (perhaps soon) He may ask of you what seems quite difficult. Then, He may ask of you what seems impossible. This is obedience in its purest form. This is obedience as sacrifice. To obey is better than sacrifice, unless, to obey is sacrifice".
As I continue to process how I control things and areas where I am too prideful, I am constantly hearing God calling me to sacrifice something. He is asking me to give into Him. To allow Him to control things. To let His will be done. This is a sacrifice to me, or better put, from me to Him.

Hebrews 9:26
Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Father, please continue to break down the arrogant walls that I have built up. Please continue to reduce my pride. Lord, Your will be done, not mine. Please accept all that I offer up to You and continue to challenge me to sacrifice something for You.

No comments: