Monday, February 15, 2010

Offering

Lately, I have been processing the question, "what I have been called to place on the alter"? By that I mean, what I am willing to give up or reduce in order to grow into a better relationship with God and to hear Him clearer.

I have blogged numerous times about the sale of our current home with the goal of down sizing. I have gone through every room of the house; disposing of worthless stuff, donating clothes and furniture, and listing small valuables for sale. I have even started to offer my beloved Mustang for sale. These are all items that I have found myself placing on the alter. I have to admit that a great joy has grown in my heart from releasing stuff that I have held on to and from just simply "giving".

All of these have been noble offerings, and I think that they have pleased God. But, doesn't it all belong to Him anyway? Does He really care about our stuff? Maybe He does, if our stuff takes our focus off of Him. But I think it goes deeper than our material possessions. I believe that He wants more from us. I believe that He wants the things that matter to us the most. What if we put our children and our spouse on the alter? What if we placed all of our relationships on the alter? What happens when we sacrifice our life and our very soul and surrender it to God?

Matthew 6:19-24 says:
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

Verse 22 speaks of the eyes being the lamp of the body. If the eyes are good, the body will be full of the light (God's Spirit). I have often allowed my eyes to wander in the past. And every time I did, I lost my focus on God and what He wants for me. I allowed all of the lies in my life to speak volumes. I allowed my earthly wants to overcome my Godly needs. Lately, I have been praying to God, "Let me see the world with Your eyes Father".

Romans 12:1,2 calls us to offer a living sacrifice:
1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual[a] act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

That my friends, is putting it ALL on the alter. Offering your life as a Holy Sacrifice. This is what I believe brings God great joy. I have been going through the daunting task of reading the Bible in one year. The old testament is filled with procedures of offering. Especially in Exodus and Leviticus. A lot of small animals and birds were sacrificed to offer up to the Lord. Those procedures were proper for that day and age, but I think these days, God just simply wants our hearts. And I don't mean to rip it out and spread the blood around as it was done in the old testament. Just simply surrender to Him. Offer Him your time. Pray to see the world with His eyes. Trust in His plans for you, and you will be blessed.
Peace!

No comments: