Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Prayer

I spend a good fifty percent of my day praying to Jesus (GOD). Everybody should. But prayer isn't just talking to HIM, it's getting alone and listening as well. If you dedicate some serious quiet time to HIM, HE will speak to you. HE desires to have time with us, so don't expect it to be a "five minutes and I'm done" conversation. The longer you wait, the more your heart will receive. I try to spend about an hour every morning to have quiet time with God. I read HIS word and then I pray and listen. Lately, I have been inspired to share some of my prayers so I simply will. I have been reading Proverbs in search of wisdom. Last night my men's group and I were having a discussion about Solomon and all of his wisdom. Solomon was the richest and smartest man alive to date. But with all of wisdom came great despair. Everything became meaningless to him because he had too much and he knew too much. So my prayer today is for clarity:

Hey God, it's me. I was just sitting here thinking about all of my blessings. Not just the material stuff, but stuff like family, friends, community and even the air I breathe. They are all gifts from You Lord. Father, my life has spun out of control lately with lies and false idols. I have chased money and put it before You. I am sorry. I Love You more than anything, and yet I let the lies tell me that I am not satisfied . . . that I have to have more. I have a lot of crap. Nice home, two awesome cars, multiple TV's, rooms of furniture, clothes, food, beer, etc... I know that You have been working on me since my trip to Honduras. Peeling layers of crust away from me so very delicately with Your scalpel. I am thankful for this. Last night when we read about this dude named Solomon, I compared myself to him. I thought about how some things became meaningless once I gained them. I saw the voids in my life from putting those things before You. Even the gain of too much wisdom can become meaningless, especially if it doesn't honor You, Father. So I am asking for clarity. Help me to see and receive what You want me to gather from Proverbs. Help me to hear Your voice clearly throughout the day. Help me to be the man You NEED me to be. I Love you Papa! Thank You for Loving us so much. Thank You for all of the blessings in my life. Thank You for the Cross and all of the work that You have done for us. Thank You for Your patience and grace.
In Jesus name, Amen.

That's my prayer for now.
Peace!

No comments: