Saturday, September 5, 2009

INKED

When I was a kid I used to think that tattoos were demonic. Probably because every time I saw one, it was hellish looking and I would usually see them on big, tough guys. I probably thought they were pretty painful too. Over the years, I've grown to admire some of the artwork that was put into them and the stories behind them. I like tattoos that have meaning, not the ones that somebody gets out of drunken stupidity. Of course, there were the rumors that if you get a tattoo, you will go to hell because you are desecrating your body. I think God cares more about your heart than what is on your skin!! That being said, I decided to do it. I drew up a design myself and took it to a highly referred artist. His name is Kevin Combs and he works at a shop in Hamilton Ohio called Skin Addiction. I've seen his work on many of my friends and I know it well. As I sat in the chair for three and a half hours, letting Kevin ink up my skin, I realized that this guy was not just some drifter who just ended up as a tattoo artist. He is truly unique, he has a great story to tell, and he is God's son. I enjoyed every minute that I sat there talking to Kevin (except for when my butt kept falling asleep). There was not much pain involved. The lower part of the arm mostly tickled. The upper part of the shoulder felt like an annoying pinch and got pretty irritated by the time he finished with the color. Kevin asked me when I would be back for my second. I don't think I'm the kind of guy that will get multiple tattoos, but you never know.

This is the rendering that I drew up and took to Kevin.


The cross, of course, represents the price Jesus ultimately paid for us. The vine of thorns represents the pain he went through prior to the crucifixion. The tribal markings behind the cross stand for the warrior that Christ was. A warrior for Love! The two tribal marks at the bottom are souls dancing and rejoicing in HIM. And the Sun is God in all of his warmth, light, and glory watching over the cross.


This is my good friend Steve Nixon and his fiance Carol Whetstone after they got their tattoos by none other than...Kevin Combs (in the middle).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Nick! Carol and I both love that tattoo!

Kelly said...

Awesome!! I love it.

cinciann said...

Dang, you're sexy...

Love you.

A

melanie said...

What can I say now, after Ann's comment??? She went and topped all the compliments!
BTW, I like the 'warrior pose' pic in the sidebar. Way cool.