Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dunk Fest 2010 (VWS Style)

Once a year, our church has it's annual baptism celebration. It usually kicks off around ten in the morning and stretches into mid afternoon. With live music provided by Jon Price and group, and a cookout after wards, this is a celebration not to be missed. Last year around sixty people publicly gave their lives to Christ and I'm sure that there were probably close to that many this past Sunday as well.

My brother from another mother entered the water this year. Kelly Jackson came into my life just a little over a year ago. We were having a free car-wash at the church when this guy showed up in his minivan, thinking that he was just there to get his vehicle cleaned for free that day. God had other plans! My other brother, Steve Nixon, and I were introduced to Kelly and he told us that he was looking for group of Christian men to connect with. We invited him to our men's group and we prayed for him on the spot that day while bird poop and leaves were being removed from his car. Kelly informed me, just a few days before Sunday, that he was going to get baptized. That morning, he asked Steve and I if we would do the honor of baptizing him. My wife took some incredible pictures of the moment. As we invited the Holy Spirit and prayed over Kelly, our brother poured out his emotions and gave it all to God.
Take a look:


Matthew 3:13-17
The Baptism of Jesus


13
Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"
15Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented.
16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

God painted the sky that evening, in a way that only He can create. His love is unfathomable and His mercy is endless. What a glorious day!

Peace!

No comments: