Thursday, July 1, 2010

The "Bug Guy"

So, we had to have an exterminator come out this morning to take care of a flying ant problem in our basement. As I was walking him down to our basement, he mentioned that he lives here on the west side in the Delhi area. I showed him the problem area and went back upstairs to wait for him to finish.
It took Mike a few minutes to spray the treatment around the perimeter of the basement and then he came back upstairs. I decided to strike up a conversation with him, and what do you know, God decides to show up as well. Let me explain. I told Mike that he looked very familiar to me and then I asked him how long he had lived in Delhi and that's when he opened up. He told me that he rides his Harley around the area every chance that he gets, and I think that's why he looks so familiar to me. I may have seen him out on one of his evening cruises. He then shared that he had just recently been divorced and right at that moment, I thought about the group of guys that I meet with on Tuesday nights. I thought about some of the guys that would like to connect with this fella and how he would be a good fit for the group. I casually mentioned the group to him and he said that he would really like to come check it out. He told me that he believes that God created us all for a purpose and that maybe today was his calling, and that maybe he was destined to meet me.
Mike was also an Air Force man, like myself, and he was born and raised in Santa Fe, New Mexico. As most of you know, I was stationed in Albuquerque, New Mexico for four years. We talked about the southwest for several minutes and shared our desires to return there someday.
Mike also talked about his job a lot and how much that he has enjoyed doing it, but wished that he had made a career out of the Air Force. He told me that he is on the t.v. commercials for Sure Thing Pest Control and that all of the neighborhood kids know him as, the "Bug Guy".
I think we could have talked for hours but Mike had to report to his next job and I had things to take care of as well. I gave him one of our church's outreach cards and wrote my name and phone number on the back of it. I really hope Mike shows up this Tuesday at The Refuge for some coffee, cigars or even some Godly man connecting time. I for one, would love to hear more of his life's story.
I have to say that I have been blown away by all of the opportunities that God has provided for me to share His Gospel. I guess that's why they say, "Be careful of what you pray (ask) for, you just might get it".

1 Chronicles 4:10
Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request.

Peace!

No comments: