Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Preaching

Here is another short story that I read and thought that I would share. This one caught me in a place of strong conviction. The author's name is Orel Hershiser.


Show and Tell

I'm not one to wear my faith on my sleeve. Christians can do a disservice to unbelievers by being obnoxious or judgmental. I'm a chapel leader and have been since my second year in the minors. People know where I'm coming from without my having to harp on it all the time. I know that the message of Christ offends because it calls sin sin and says that we are all sinners. There's no way to soften the truth. It's jarring and can alienate people until they begin to realize that it's true. My pushing it down everyone's throat will not make it any easier for them to investigate what it's all about.
I just tell people about God naturally, when opportunities arise or when I'm asked. It's amazing how many people notice when you tend to be straight. If you're not a carouser, not a womanizer, not foul-mouthed, not a gossip, it gets around! . . .
We're far from perfect. We fail. There are people who may think we are insincere or who think we're judgmental. I can't defend myself against people who say I'm phony. Only my family, my true friends and I know who I really am inside. I'll have to answer for that someday. I can only do and be what I think God wants me to do and be. I never want to embarrass Him or bring Him shame. (Author: Orel Hershiser)


Well, lately I have been one to wear my faith on my sleeve. I have been "announcing" my Christianity. I have been obnoxious and incredibly judgmental. Thank God for my true friends. Thank God for their courage to have that Matthew 18 conversation with me. They love me and hold me accountable.
Everything in this short story hit me so hard that I found it hard to breathe. It is who I was when I started this walk with Him and where I long to be again. I used to be noticeably "straight" and people used to question me about it all the time. But lately, I have been standing on my soap box preaching, and as one friend called it, pushing Jesus down people's throats. I don't want to do that. I just got so caught up in the moment of building my own kingdom, that I lost sight of who I was and what I stand for. I have missed the mark completely and now it's time to re-focus.
I am thankful for my friend's (Tim & Joanne Urmston) and my wife for calling me out on this. I am sorry to those that I have offended lately. I regret being judgmental. I don't really like being obnoxious. And I NEVER want to embarrass God or bring Him shame!

No comments: