Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hard Lessons

Story:
Dante is a tenth-grade football player full of potential. After football practice one afternoon, his coach asked to see him in his office. Dante was leading his team in total yards and touchdowns. Partway through the season, the coaching staff even began considering moving him up to the varsity team. Rarely had they seen such promise in a maturing young player. Football came so naturally to Dante that he was a dominant force without even working at it. And that was the problem - the reason he was in the coach's office. He just wasn't working at it.
Discipline issues with Dante were becoming an increasing concern. He was constantly showing up late to practice with no reason. He misbehaved during practice and even mocked the coach. He figured that he was so good that he didn't have a need to be coached.
When Dante made it to the coach's office, it was to his surprise to see the varsity football coach also present for the meeting. His coach asked him to have a seat and proceeded by reminding Dante how much talent and potential that he has. Then he said, "But your unwillingness to receive correction, your tardiness and your misbehavior is poisoning this team." The coach then made the decision to bench Dante for the remainder of the season, even if this meant no chance of making it to the playoffs.
Then it was the varsity coach's turn. He concurred with everything that Dante's coach had mentioned. He too, made Dante aware of his talent and potential, but informed him that there would no place for him on the varsity team unless his attitude changed. Disrespect would not be tolerated, no exceptions.
Dante thought the coaches were trying to destroy his image and more important, his football career. But as the season rolled on, Dante realized that the coach was actually disciplining him in order to rescue him, not only for his current position but for his future as a football player as well. That is what good discipline does. It has to inflict pain sometimes in order to save or rescue something. Maybe God has to discipline us in ways that may seem harsh in an attempt to rescue us.

I read a story similar to this recently and was thinking about my son's soccer practice last night and I thought I would compare his situation to the story. Dominick didn't feel like going to practice last night for a number of reasons. He had a headache, it was too hot and I'm quite certain that he thinks that he is too good for practice sometimes. After a grueling hour and a half in 98 degree heat, Dominick immediately began to complain about how hard it was because of the heat and about how much he doesn't think that he needs to be at the optional practice on Thursday evenings. I'm not trying to call him out or ridicule him, he is my son and I love him. But it drives me completely up the wall to hear him talk about his life dream of skipping college, becoming a pro soccer player and moving to Barcelona to play soccer for his dream team. I am constantly trying to reassure him that there isn't one guy on that team (or any professional team for that matter) that hasn't paid their dues. I often use the example of Michael Jordan and how he would show up on a court that was filled with guys much older and better than him and played hoops with them - no matter what.
Dominick is an exceptional soccer player. He has played it since he was 5 years old. He lives, eats and breathes soccer. I love watching him each season and I have noticed how much of a leader he is on the field. That leadership will prepare him for a lot of things in life. I am very reserved on the sidelines compared to a lot of other fanatic parents. I watch and when the game is over, I tell him what I think he needs to improve on. Sometimes he takes that info as an insult and sometimes he accepts it as good advice, I guess it just depends on if his team has won or lost and what kind of mood he is in. He is well aware of his gift and we constantly try to keep it respectable, but even he needs discipline sometimes to keep his perspective on things.

I am thankful that God has provided me the opportunity to father someone and discipline them as well. I know that He is constantly disciplining me in my life and that there will always be areas in my life where I need it most. It may seem harsh sometimes, but I believe that it is in those difficult moments where the most growth and maturity will occur.

Peace!

No comments: